Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Enjoying my spiritual journey with my master

About 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to meet Gurumaaji, as soon as I saw her I felt an aura of peace around her. I began listening to the discourses that were on Sony TV and even attended Satsangs. It was from this that I found out about meditation, its benefits and also about the different guided meditation techniques available. Gurumaaji stressed the importance of meditation and recommended using specially designed meditation CD’s. There is a variety of meditation CD’s on offer, with different techniques.

The first meditation technique that I used was mantra meditation. This was where you repeat out loud a word such as ‘OM’. I really enjoyed this guided meditation technique and think that it is a good meditation for beginners, as it is easy to understand. Gurumaa recommends doing daily meditation with one technique for 3 months before changing to another one. I have tried most of the meditation CD’s and derive benefits from all.

To start off I found it difficult to sit crossed legged, but with practice and doing yoga, I can now sit for longer. Some of the benefits that I think I have had from practicing meditation are that I have less of a racing mind, less thoughts, peace of mind and being more aware. I feel more positive about life in general and have the strength to face problems and feel as I am more focused about what I want to focus on in life.

My current meditation technique is to start doing breathing meditation, whilst playing meditation music in the background. This is very uplifting and a lovely experience. More recently through doing meditation I have started experiencing catharsis. Catharsis is a procedure of cleansing your mind and getting rid of all repressed feelings from the past. When the body goes through catharsis, which is caused by the rising of energies through meditation, body movements happen automatically. This is a good way to experience that we are not the body and that we are separate from the body. I can see through this that I am the one who is witnessing the movement which is the true self. I do not get frightened about anything that I experience in meditation as Gurumaa has said that nothing bad can happen has a result of doing meditation.

I am thoroughly enjoying my spiritual journey and feel blessed that I have been shown the spiritual path and I hope that I am able to progress in this beautiful path of meditation and self realisation.

--kiran

No comments: